...or else I will be forced to tell you! I actually dove into the task of saving my grandma's 1950s kitchenette chairs. They were no match for the spiked knees of my children. So we had resorted to some very classy duct tape for, well, a little too long.
(Ahem. This project has been at the top of the to-do list for over FOUR YEARS! The first knee pop attack occurred whilst we still resided in Napa.)
Realizing I was not an upholstery natural, I checked out about 20 books from the library and finally found the guidance I needed in a section called The Tulip Pleat. So, I tried to file that information in a retrievable folder in my brain. Then I returned 20 huge, heavy, daunting upholstery books to the library and needed to rest my arms and my brain for well over a year.
So, after a couple more general elections and a few months, I found myself wandering through my favorite craft store and the remnant of this fabric literally drew me in with its tractor beam.
This was not bullet-proof Kevlar.
This was sissy quilting fabric. But it was my only hope.
I hadn't found anything else that matched right and stayed true to the vintage look of the brass table with leaf motif on the white tabletop . . .

Almost visible in this pic of flowers arranged by a dear friend!

Perhaps it's easier to see in this delightful shot of the Banana Dogs that Sam (5) insisted I make for him after reading a brochure at Safeway.
So, I bought the remnant, searched the cyber-world until I found 2 more yards listed on etsy for a reasonable rate. And then I actually bought them after losing track of them thrice.
Next, I patiently waited for the right coupon for my second favorite craft store. When it finally came, I got me some medium weight vinyl to put over the wimpy fabric. (Not much classier than duct tape, but a lot easier to clean after spaghetti night than it would be without it. And I guess I am not that classy anyhow, since I said "I got me some" above.)
And then way later--and I mean waaaay later--I got some batting on sale from the same store. Because, of course, I wanted to make the chairs more comfy while I was at it.
Then, in early October of this very year, I measured and starched that rosy fabric--at which time I learned that Millie highly approved of my selection. The panels kept mysteriously disappearing and the words "rosies blankies" kept swirling 'round my home.
And then it began. I failed miserably on the first chair pad until I invited an amazing friend over for support and guidance. She asked if I had a dowel to help keep the pleats taut. I didn't, but I found that The Pampered Chef Citrus Peeler worked like a charm at keeping the vinyl and roses from going their separate ways. A dollar well spent, ladies.
With Amandafied tulip pleats.
Then we had a really fancy set of chairs for a few weeks.
.......
But I would like to triumphantly state that before Thanksgiving 2010 (and with much gratitude/relief on the part of my patient husband) I somehow made it to the finish line
and I now have FOUR chairs that look like just about like this:
And I even spared you the Foam Fiasco. You're welcome for that.

10 comments:
love the chairs, the story sounds much like some of my attempts to accomplish things. They turned out nicely. You are terrific girl.
Adorable! I am sure they were comfy rosies blankies, but they make lovely chairs too!
P.S. You're great.
I am so impressed! You are very talented and the chairs look great!
Love the chairs! Good job Amanda!
I love those chairs! And the story was a bright spot to my morning. Now can you help me do my glider rocker?? ;)
I LOVE THEM!!! You've inspired me to take a crack at the, um, "dated" iron chairs that I somehow inherited from my dad. Yours look AMAZING!!! Well done.
your're my hero! I love the rosie blanke fabric! Millie has excellent tastes.
You give me great hope. I have had some gorgeous fabric draped (yes, I said draped) over one of our chairs in hopes that I would work up the courage to reupholster in a daring craft attempt. For a year. I now have the courage. Gracias. And, by the way, I absolutely love the fabric/shiny vinyl you chose. It is perfect! Congrats on a craft attempt well done!
Cute!
Love, love, looooooooove them!!! So happy to see the new incarnation of Millie's chairs. So proud of you for doin' such a bang up job! You're super! Merry Christmastime with Love.
Post a Comment